I spotted this on the fandom wife candesgirl
's journal and decided to give it a go. So here it is. Seven random facts about me that you probably could have lived out the rest of your life without knowing.
1. I am an atheist. The idea of belief in an abstract being, creator or creators doesn't compute in my head. I am forensic in my need for proof of things, and that goes for everything. I don't believe in ghosts, fairies, vampires, werewolves or anything else of this sort. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the stories. However, greater than my atheism is my dislike of organised religion. I understand that it does some people good to be part of a community or put their faith in something, but does harm to many more. I personally think the world would be a much better place without it.
2. If I had the money I would pack in work tomorrow and go to drama school, if one would have me. I love to act so much and whilst I'm not so vain as to think that I would make a massive success of it as a career because I'm kinda funny-looking and unlikely to be able to find a niche, I would love to learn more and have the chance to put what I learned into practice. However, I'm very happy to do it as a passtime and grateful I have a relatively well-paid job that lets me do the things I enjoy in my spare time. I just wish there were other amateurs who take it as seriously as I do.
3. I have an internal editor that I can't turn off. I judge people who use bad grammar. If I start reading something that mixes up "cue" with "queue" or "volition" with "violation", or some other such thing, I have to struggle very hard to keep reading if I even bother at all. I'm a horrible, terrible perfectionist and I just can't stop myself. My eye is tuned to tiniest minutiae setting and certain of my friends will attest to the fact that I turn into a total bitch when faced with bad writing. I wish I could just let it slide, particularly for things like fanfic which are never meant to be serious business and intended for pleasure, but I just can't.
4. I can't just say something nice to someone about something they've done to make them feel better. I cannot butter people up. I just can't. If you get a compliment from me, I really mean it. I can't abide false flattery. If I don't like something, I will usually just button my lip and say nothing.
5. I hardly ever remember my dreams. Of late, I've hardly been sleeping enough to have any. However, if I eat cheese, I often then go on to dream about well-known people in strange and unusual situations. A recent favourite involved Matthew Bellamy from the band Muse having detatchable hands.
6. All of my favourite singers, comedians and acting heroes are men. I can't explain it, but I can list of a string of men, actors particularly, whom I actually try to emulate in my life and performance. I can't think of a single woman. Out of the hundreds of artists on my iPod, I probably only have about three female vocalists. I've never seen a female comedian I've enjoyed. Ever. I don't even like women in my fiction for the most part. I prefer stories about men. It makes me feel like some kind of traitor to the cause of womankind, but it just seems to be the way I'm wired up.
7. I hate Christmas. Hate it with a seething passion more and more as each year passes, along with all other enforced jollity. It's let me down very badly in the past, and since I'm an atheist (see point 1) I get annoyed with the pressure to feel happy on account of a calendar event that means nothing to me. Mr G has to work. I get stressed. We are forced through duty to spend time with the family, which wears on my nerves and makes me cranky. I'd rather have fun for the sake of it. I love to buy presents randomly for people throughout the year just because I saw something I knew they'd like. I don't want to be told to get excited just because it's the second-to-last week in December.